Scandinavian interiors are designed with minimalism and practicality in mind. They are simple, clean, functional and full of charm. Our friends up north know exactly how to make a space feel mindful by incorporating shades of white and wood - think light wood cabinetry, matte iron pulls and white walls. The Scandi interior style is perfect for those who want an open space that is decluttered, provides a sense of peace and exudes warmth and comfort.
Create a Scandinavian Style Home
How to get the scandinavian look:
- Work with a soft colour palette – think white, pale grey and pastel paint colours
- In Scandinavian style homes, clean lines and minimal design are key
- Keep it simple and stick to two tiles - one for a statement and the other to balance the room/the look
- Light coloured timber accents are a Scandi staple and add warmth and texture
- Contrasting textures enhance the space – try bamboo mats, textured tiles, sheer curtains and plants
- Minimal doesn’t have to mean empty – decorate carefully with like wicker baskets, stylish ornaments and display shelving
Traps to avoid:
- Being boring – Scandinavian design is minimal, but still ultra cool
- Channelling the IKEA catalogue – hey, we all love IKEA, right? But make sure you don’t forget to inject your own personality into the room!
- Making it too cold. Think sauna, not ice cave, with warm lighting and underfloor heating
- Don’t overpower your home with statement tiles or dark timber flooring